Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Custom storage cabinets rail and stile work

Because 4 of the 6 storage cabinets are 7 high, I am making the face frames full height with a cross member located at a shelf.  Because of the full height, I need to use mortise and tenon joinery. This type of joint is much stronger than other joints, and provides for a lot on internal glue space. Here are picture of my mortise and tenon joints, and one of the face frames being clamped up.  I have 4 to do, plus 2 smaller ones...




While the face frames are setting up, Ive decided to put a support member on the taller cabinets at the stationary shelves. I intentionally left a 3/4" recess on the face of the shelf, and I will fill it with an oak strip. This will strengthen the shelf, as well as give a secure anchor point for the face frames.



No comments:

Post a Comment